[Gambas-user] String conversion for printing

KKing kicking177 at ...626...
Thu Feb 18 18:18:51 CET 2016

On 18/02/16 13:59, Roel Touwen wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have an application that prints. The problem is that when I want to
> print é it appears as é.
>
> So I think I need a string conversion like Conv$ but wherever I look,
> there are no working samples.
>
> My charset of system and database are UTF8....
>
> Who?
>
> Grtz
>
> Roel Touwen

I possibly encountered similar issue(s).
I was working with text in a SQLite db that contained things like the
degrees symbol and superscript characters. Populating Gambas textBoxes
and textAreas from the db and updating the db with these characters was
no issue. But when went to save the same content to a text file I was
get those characters being prefixed with a "Â", e.g. "³" instead of
just "³".

I ended up using the following, which worked for me for my issue.

   Try sTextArea = Conv$(taDescription.Text, "UTF-8", "WINDOWS-1253")
   If Error Then
     Message(Error.Text)
   Endif

  - - - - -