[Gambas-user] Problem compiling projects

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Sun Feb 14 16:23:25 CET 2016

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016, Peter Roc wrote:

>    Hi Tobias. Thank you for your reply.
>
>    Yes, I did make uninstall. By stopped I mean, everything worked fine, it's
>    just than when pressing F7 nothing happens. Going to the project folder
>    there is no <project>.gambas file. Alt+F7 results in some warnings but
>    nothing special, they were there before the problem.

On my system F7 is mapped to "Compile" and Alt+F7 to "Compile all". I think
it's the same at yours. Compiling a project mostly creates compiled files in
the hidden ".gambas" directory in your project. It does *not* create an exe-
cutable archive (<project>.gambas file). "Compile all" is similar in that it
compiles everything from scratch, even if some classes have not been
modified since last compilation.

Usually there is no visual output or waiting time (except maybe for very
large projects) for project compilation. You can check if a compilation
happened by going to your project directory in a file manager, deleting the
hidden ".gambas" directory, then hitting "Compile all" in the IDE. If after
that the ".gambas" directory is present and filled with your classes, then
it works.

>    Because I have the /home dir in a separate partition, I made an reinstall,
>    Linux  Mint  17 Rosa on my case. Problem persists, but now it's worse.
>    Creating  a new project, a simple form with a button, result that when
>    pressing the run button (at the IDE) only the form shows up but not the
>    button.  I will try with a different distro, lubuntu, and check if the
>    problem persists.
>
>    For the record: Linux Mint 17 Rosa, ppa stable

If the problem persists after you reinstalled the whole system, it must be
something wrong with the project (meta)data... Can you send a misbehaving
project to the list?

As a general advice, if you switch back and forth between Gambas versions,
the first thing you should do is "Compile all" each project that was
compiled with a different version of Gambas. Only then you should run it.
But I doubt that this would fix your current problem.

Regards,
Tobi