[Gambas-user] Sharing libraries across projects : initial implementation

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Mon Feb 1 23:44:41 CET 2016

On Mon, 01 Feb 2016, Beno??t Minisini wrote:
> > Also I think I would at some point want to run my project from an
> > executable. Will there be a way that I can explicitely tell the
> > interpreter to look in ~/.local/share for libraries?
>
> At the moment, you must be in debug mode to use that folder.
>
> I'd like a way to be sure that an executable only uses globally
> installed libraries or libraries installed in the folder explicitly
> specified in the library tab. But maybe it's paranoid?

I really can't tell. I have no idea about security. But if someone can
trick you into installing a malicious library in ~/.local/share/... and
then running an executable, they probably can trick you into installing
that library and running a project from the IDE.

Anyway, what about this: I enter ~/.local/share/... as the project-specific
search path. Then I have explicit access to the local libraries. The only
problem is that the path

  ~/.local/share/...

has the username in it so that I can't easily give such a project to
others[*]. It would be convenient if I was able to use a variable like
$HOME when giving that runtime search path.

I would like to see ~/.local/share/... more as a user-specific version of
/usr/lib, to make it short.

Regards,
Tobi

[*] That the project would fail to load on others' systems in this case,
    until they take a look into the project themselves to correct the path
    is the only point I can see where security is improved.