[Gambas-user] [Gambas Bug Tracker] Bug #984: error compiling again 0.9 openssl, only 1.0 compiles

bugtracker at ...3416... bugtracker at ...3416...
Mon Aug 29 22:36:30 CEST 2016

http://gambaswiki.org/bugtracker/edit?object=BUG.984&from=L21haW4-

Comment #7 by Tobias BOEGE:

>the 3.8.4 gambas release compiles with debian lenny and debian squeeze
It may compile, but did it link and run properly, that is to ask: do you remember to have ever started a gb.openssl project in that environment? Because if the function EVP_MD_do_all() is missing from your OpenSSL, you may have gotten a warning from the compiler, but the component would still be compiled and installed. An error would only happen when you start a gb.openssl project and the dynamic linker is invoked.

>backported
Yes, and it apparently comes with a ton of patches, but none of these patches adds EVP_MD_do_all() (provided I applied them correctly, according to the "series" file in the Debian package). So I'm still clueless about that.

>until last march of current year
Yes, from what I gathered, that is when even the LTS period for squeeze-lts ended. To be frank, I'm not so eager to shovel through old OpenSSL code and Debian patches anymore just to make gb.openssl compile on some old Debian that is past its expiration date.

I will just set a minimum requirement of OpenSSL >= 1.0.0 for gb.openssl in the next revision. That way you would not get a compilation error on your system, but another incompatible component. However, *if* gb.openssl worked well for you in 3.8.4 you can patch Gambas on your own (as I believe you already do anyway). You just take the source files from the 3.8.4 version of gb.openssl [1] and revert the commit that sets the minimum OpenSSL version to 1.0.0. That should restore the state to what probably worked for you. If you believe you have found a way to make gb.openssl run (not only compile) on your system without breaking anything else, you can send it to the mailing list.

I don't know how many distributions out there still use OpenSSL < 1.0.0, but if someone else is troubled by my decision, feel free to open a report. As per [2] the version 1.0.0 seems to be the first to include EVP_MD_do_all(), which, as I said, is crucial to the gb.openssl interface.

[1] https://sourceforge.net/p/gambas/code/HEAD/tree/gambas/tags/3.8.4/gb.openssl/src/
[2] https://www.openssl.org/news/changelog.html#x32

Tobias BOEGE changed the state of the bug to: Rejected.