[Gambas-user] Gambas mime type

T Lee Davidson t.lee.davidson at ...626...
Wed Apr 6 03:47:38 CEST 2016

On 04/05/2016 03:17 PM, Matti wrote:
> Unfortunately, I have to set up my system (openSUSE 42.1) completely new.
> I installed Gambas 3.8.4 fromhttp://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Education/openSUSE_Leap_42.1/, and it runs ok as it did before.
>
> But the packager seems to have made a mistake, as *.gambas files are regarded as plain text documents and won't start by clicking on them.
>
> So, does anyone know how to make KDE run *.gambas files automatically?

Matti,

I think the mistake in "/usr/share/mimelnk/application/x-gambas3.desktop" is the Patterns being set to "*.g;*.G". I tried
correcting that to "*.gambas;*.Gambas" on my system. But, I got impatient and didn't want bother seeing if a reboot would cause
the new pattern to be picked up.

Here's a quick fix.

Ensure that you have a file "~/.local/share/applications/gbr3.desktop" with the content:
[Desktop Entry]
Exec=/usr/bin/gbr3
MimeType=application/gambas;
Name=gbr3
NoDisplay=true
Type=Application

(It can sometimes take a minute or so for the system to recognize changes in "~/.local/share/applications".)

Then go to System Settings -> Applications -> File Associations. Search for "gambas". It should be:
Filename patterns: *.gambas
Application Preference Order: gbr3

If it's not there, add it.

--