[Gambas-user] Feature removal suggestion: Pressing Escape hides debug pane

Mon Sep 21 06:52:31 CEST 2015

On 09/19/2015 03:40 PM, Lewis Balentine wrote:
> On 09/19/2015 05:48 AM, Patrik Karlsson wrote:
>>
>>> When modifying a line of code there are context-sensitive pop-ups for
>>> syntax help, code completion and method/property enumeration, which is
>>> awesome. However, one type of pop-up requires that you press Escape to
>>> clear and the others do not. Being unable to reliably differentiate
>>> between pop-up types results in Escape being pressed in error which then
>>> causes the debug pane to be hidden. When using the debug pane to jump
>>> between search results, accidentally pressing Escape in an attempt to
>>> clear the context-sensitive pop-up results in the debug pane, and
>>> consequently the search results, being hidden. This significantly
>>> interrupts workflow and has been annoying the shit out of me for
>>> possibly years.
>>>
>>> I think the Escape key should be uncoupled from debug pane functionality
>>> entirely, forcing the user to use a different key or perhaps the mouse
>>> alone to show/hide or otherwise manipulate it. Is anyone else
>>> experiencing this or is it just me?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Kevin Fishburne
>>> Eight Virtues
>>> www: http://sales.eightvirtues.com
>>> e-mail: sales at ...1887...
>>> phone: (770) 853-6271
>>>

>> You are not alone. :)
>
> "... perhaps the mouse alone to show/hide or otherwise manipulate it."
> There should always exist an alternate way to gracefully exit a dialog
> box lest the farmer's wife is hanging about with her carving knife.

Just use the window and you can generally avoid any run-ins with the
farmer or his knife-wielding wife...unless something else entirely is
going on and I've misunderstood.

In any case, I've attached two images. Pressing Escape for enumeration
clears the enumeration pop-up. Pressing Escape for syntax help hides the
debug pane. Maybe Alt-Escape, Alt-Tab or something similar could toggle
debug pane visibility.