[Gambas-user] This is some play around the Breeze theme

Adrien Prokopowicz adrien.prokopowicz at ...626...
Thu Sep 10 22:22:06 CEST 2015

Le Mon, 07 Sep 2015 10:44:06 +0200, Fabien Bodard <gambas.fr at ...626...> a
écrit:

> <adrien.prokopowicz at ...626...>:
>> Le Mon, 07 Sep 2015 09:12:18 +0200, Fabien Bodard <gambas.fr at ...626...>
>> écrit:
>>
>>> Yesteday i have spend one hour on imaginate how can look like the
>>> gambas icon in the breeze collection style.
>>>
>>> Tell me your opinions on it :-).
>>>

>> I like this idea ! My favorite is the 4th one, but I think it would fit
>> the Breeze theme more if it was in a line-only style, like the first
>> (I think there is no Breeze mimetype icon that is actually full).
>
> Not for mimetye ... look at the py one

Oh, you're right, I didn't pay enough attention to that I guess.
Forget what I said !

>> You should also look at their design guidelines on their wiki[0], it
>> would
>> certainly help your icons to look more fitting to Breeze.
>
> yes it seem i must follow typour color pannel for background... well
> maybe not

The background color seems okay to me, as it is from an existing Breeze
mimetype.

The things you should change are the height of the icon inside, to match
the guides in the file (see attached screenshot), and the color of the
icon, to match the light color of the folded page.

>> Note they also take pull requests ! We could definitely have an official
>> breeze mimetype icon in the next Plasma release. :)
> ??

Their Github repository is open to pull requests, and they seem to accept
most of them[0].

This means that, when we have finalized icons for gambas mimetypes, we
can submit them through Github. If they are accepted, they will merge
them into their master branch, wand it will make it to the next Plasma
release.

Le Mon, 07 Sep 2015 11:21:00 +0200, Fabien Bodard <gambas.fr at ...626...> a
écrit:

> A try on the 16 px version... this not a final version ... just to get
> something readable on small icons

It's not bad, but I can see a few improvements :

- Following the Breeze guidelines, you can use the whole 16px width of the
   document, if the nature of the icon is not a rectangle (which is clearly
   the case for the Gambas head). Right now it seems his nose is broken on
   an invisible wall. :(

- The icon is not pixel perfect (i.e. the border and path nodes are not
   aligned to pixels). This results in a very blurry icon when painted on
   a 16px frame.

- There are too many details. Keep in mind the target size is 16px, so you
   should remove everything that isn't a pixel wide/tall. I can see the
   dot in the eye, and the curve that goes down at the right of the eye,
   which are basically useless because they are not even rendered, they
   only add more to the bluriness of the edges.

- The icon is not transparent. There is ugly white in the eye and the
mouth.

Of course, that's just my advice. :)

--
Adrien Prokopowicz