[Gambas-user] Pre-release of Gambas 3.8.1

Sebastian Kulesz sebikul at ...626...
Thu Sep 3 04:39:40 CEST 2015

I'm gonna chime in and use Bruce's comment to say something i've been
thinking of lately. Some of you may remember, I was once working on porting
the build system Gambas uses from automake to Cmake. The work i did was
left stalled mostly because managing and merging the changes in trunk while
I was working on a different tree was impossible in SVN. Once (if?) Gambas
moves to Git, using a branch to further develop this project would be much,
much easier than it was.

Regarding Bruce's problem, the move to Cmake would make building an
equivalent to an autotools package as simple as adding a CMakeLists.txt to
the project root. Moreover, Gambas does not need to "./configure" a source
tree, as it does not have to look for headers or libraries to include, and
resolve their paths.

I just wanted to say that, to add a reason to move the development of
Gambas to a Git repository.

If you want to skip the autotools package entirely, consider adding a
Makefile to the root of the project. This would be easier to maintain,
easier to customize, and to create a release you would just need to create
a source archive. You can use this one [0] as an example, i'm using it
currently to create releases for my project.

Sorry for making so much noise. I know i didn't solve the original problem
you are having, but i just wanted to mention that there are radical
solutions that would bring a lot of advantages to the project. ;)

[0]
https://github.com/sebikul/mundus/blob/0e0e9c3644e46b3a17e521da29f4b2fc4fd09b20/Makefile