[Gambas-user] When QT discontinues QtWebkit

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Oct 10 20:43:55 CEST 2015

Le 10/10/2015 20:12, Moviga Technologies a écrit :

> That makes me want to continue working on my apps that depend on WebView
> with new-found motivation again :)
>
> Hurray!

As I said, in QT 5.4 (which I use at the moment), the new QtWebEngine
classes that replace QtWebKit classes do not support DOM. So I can't use
them to reimplement Gambas WebView control.

In QT 5.6, the QtWebKit classes have been removed, but no DOM support
has been implemented in QtWebEngine. So it will be impossible to make a
Gambas WebView equivalent...

There will be other quirks for sure: many methods in QtWebEngine are now
asynchronous ; you can't access the different frames of a page anymore ;
and so on...

That means gb.qt5.webkit will be removed, and replaced by a less
powerful gb.qt5.chromium.

Or maybe I will try to make a gb.qt5.web that will automatically switch
between webkit or chromium according to what is available (i.e. you will
have the old gb.qt5.webkit, if possible, and a gb.qt5.web that will be
based on the new WebView engine).

Benoît Minisini