[Gambas-user] Bizarre results when entering a £ symbol into a TextArea or TextBox

John Rose john.aaron.rose at ...626...
Tue Mar 17 15:33:17 CET 2015

On 17/03/15 13:33, Jussi Lahtinen wrote:
> Maybe the console takes only ASCII characters?
>

> Jussi
>
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 3:00 PM, John Rose <john.aaron.rose at ...626...>
> wrote:
>
>> When entering a £ character (i.e. the British pound symbol not the
>> American one) into a TextArea or TextBox, it seems to be 'interpreted'
>> as a funny looking question mark (i.e. sort of reverse black & white)
>> when it's shown on the Console using a Print statement (actioned in a
>> Change event). I wonder if this could be due to Gambas/Ubuntu regarding
>> my keyboard as American even though it's 'installed' within Ubuntu as
>> British.
>>
>> --
>>
>> John

>> Dive into the World of Parallel Programming The Go Parallel Website,
>> sponsored
>> by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your hub for
>> all
>> things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership blogs
>> news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a look and join the
>> conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/

I don't think that it's caused by Print statements to the Console. When
I amend the Change event coding (see below) for the TextArea and run the
app with just a £ character keyed into the TextArea, I get on the
Console (with the £ character displayed OK in the TextArea):
sCh=�
ZZ
*
***

The coding is:
  Dim i As Integer
  Dim sCh As String
  For i = 1 To PrintedTextArea.Length
    sCh = Mid(PrintedTextArea.Text, i, 1)
    Print "sCh=" & sCh
    Print "X"
    Print "sCh=" & sCh
    Print "Y"
    sCh = Mid(Last.Text, i, 1)
    Select sCh
      Case "£", "?", "&", ".", "/", "="
        Print "Z"
      Case Else
        Print "ZZ"
    End Select
    Print "*"
  Next
  Print "***"

Which implies that the above Select statement is not recognising an
input £ as it is regarded it as the funny question mark when input into
the TextArea. Looking at www.asciitable.com, Chr(35) is # which I would
assume that Ubuntu should regard as a £ on a British keyboard.  There
seems to be a bug: either on Ubuntu or Gambas. Which is it?