[Gambas-user] Random access files with fixed-length string

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Mon Mar 16 19:55:18 CET 2015

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015, Gian wrote:
> About gb.settings and gb.xml unfortunately I did not understand what you
> suggest me, perhaps to use their instead of the dat file? But how?

If you are creating a new file format for your application, you should,
when possible, refrain from using a binary format with string size
limitations. That's the premise.

Instead use gb.settings which is capable of formatting values in native
datatypes (Integer, Float, String, ...) and even arrays and collections
of them as human-readable, non-limited strings. If there is a scenario
where a human might legitimately want to look at the data file of your
application, you should make it human-readable. gb.settings also allows
to structure the data slightly into "slots".

Regards,
Tobi