[Gambas-user] Top posting

Tue Mar 10 05:00:09 CET 2015

On 03/09/2015 06:53 PM, Jussi Lahtinen wrote:
>> here a signature from an ancient gambas-user  from Ron_1st
>>
>> --
>>   A: Delete the text you reply on.
>>   Q: What to do to get my post on top?
>>   A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>>   Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>>   A: Top-posting.
>>   Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
>>
> I'm aware of that, but gmail arranges the mails so that never happens. You
> will see only the reply, and the context is visible only if you click it
> open.
> So the only difference is whether you click open the context above (bottom
> post) or below (top post) the mail.

Email's still in the frakking DARPANET ages. Until there's a better way
to do it the top posting flame wars will rage on. There should be
parent/child relationships between each message. Quotes should be
begin/end pointers referring to the message being quoted, not
duplicating its text. This way the email client could display message
threads however it (or the end user) liked without affecting everyone
else's preferred reading or writing habits, and be able to easily detect
when someone's top-posted (though top-posting and adding a sig at the
very bottom could confuse things).

--
Kevin Fishburne
Eight Virtues