[Gambas-user] Bug in Highlight in Gambas 3.7.1

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Thu Jun 11 23:19:04 CEST 2015

> Hi,
>
> Gambas 3.7.1 IDE highlights just fine.
>
> I have done some investigation and this is what I discovered.
>
> 1. When application installed on a system with Gambas 3.7.1 IDE
> installed all highlighting works.
> 2. When application installed on a virgin system (so no Gambas installed
> only PPA available in sources.list) the highlighting crashes.
> 3. If, on the virgin system (mentioned in 2. and after having
> application installed), I next install gambas3-gb-eval-highlight, the
> highlighting does work
> 4. The systems with Gambas 3.5.4 and 3.6.2 installed where the
> application was tested, all happened to have Gambas IDE installed, so
> that is why all worked there.
>
> The misleading thing here is that when developing in IDE and no
> component gb.eval.highlight selected in project properties, you can use
> Highlight.C or whatever and there is no complain about a component
> missing when compiling and running the app.
> When for example you use args in code but forget to select gb.args in
> properties, as soon as you compile or whant to run the app, the IDE
> tells you that ist doesn't understand the args code.
>
> So, eventually, when making a package of the project, there is no
> dependency on gb.eval.highlight, and thus the application will fail on
> systems without a full IDE installed.
>
> So, when using gb.eval.highlight without it being selected in project
> properties, IDE should complain.
> Or maybe gb.qt4.ext should default depend on gb.eval.highlight?
>
> Well, I solved the problem by checking gb.eval.highlight in the project
> properties and next repackage the project. So, now I know and will
> remember, but others might run into the same problem.
>
> So, I feel something should be done to prevent mistakes like this from
> happening. But, I leave that up to Benoît to figure out the best
> solution (if any).
>
> Willy (a.k.a. gbWilly)

Ha, ok. So everything occured as expected.

When using highlighting, the gb.qt4.ext component tries to load the
gb.eval.highlight component automatically, and displays that error
message if the component cannot be found. Which happens if the it has
not been installed.

But I cannot make gb.qt4.ext depends on gb.eval.highlight, because the
component is not mandatory if you don't use highlighting.

Except explaining that in the documentation, I don't see any technical
solution...

--
Benoît Minisini