[Gambas-user] Array.Add question

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Wed Jul 15 15:41:51 CEST 2015

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015, Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote:
> Sometimes... ok: Never done this before, so I just ask:
>
> Dim sTest as String[0,0]
>
> sTest.Add("Hello", "World")
>
> Where is "Hello" now? At 0,0 or 1,1? Or: Which dimension is added?
>
> Is that possible - or are multi-dimensional arrays not dynamic?

If Benoit didn't change it (I lost track of all the changes lately due to
exams), multidimensional arrays are static in size. One reason may be
precisely that the choice of a particular dimension to which an Add()
method would add elements is hard to justify.

[ One additional point may be memory consumption: we imagine an n-
  dimensional array as an n-dimensional hyperrectangle. If we increment
  the size in one dimension, a whole (n-1)-dimensional hyperrectangle has
  to be added. ]

Anyway, if you want a refresher on your options regarding arrays in Gambas,
I already wrote about it on this list [0] and even in German [1]. You may
want to use what we call "derived" multidimensional arrays.

Regards,
Tobi

[0] http://sourceforge.net/p/gambas/mailman/message/32228140/
[1] http://gambas-club.de/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4688&p=9975#p9975