[Gambas-user] Array.Sort

Lewis Balentine lewis at ...3412...
Fri Jan 9 00:56:03 CET 2015

On 01/08/2015 07:19 AM, Tobias Boege wrote:
> Array.Sort() is a *method* :-)

The basic (pun intended) elements of all OOP languages are classes
constructed of properties and methods.
--- you got me on that one

In GAMBAS there seem to be several class methods defined that sometimes
require parenthesis and sometimes do not. I was trying to
determine/define the conditions that delimit when those parenthesis are
required using familiar BASIC terms ... as in:
     Public/Private Function  foo () as data type
     Public/Private Sub  foo ()
both of which I believe are appropriately considered methods in OOP
languages.

I believe my second formal computer class was MBASIC on a Osborn CPM
computer (4 inch green screen). I am trying to recall if the term
"Function" was defined in that language but those gray cells are no
longer responding reliably. The other option was "Go to" that eventually
evolved into "Public/Private Sub". At the time we called those
"procedures".  I still call them "procedures" to distinguish them from a
"function" that by definition is supposed to return something.

Take a look at what I put in the WiKi and let me know if I should change it.
http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/comp/gb/string[]/sort
... and if someone insists I will go back and change the variables to
Hungarian notation but personally I find it more confusing than enlighting.

Cheers,

Lewis