[Gambas-user] Wiki Observation, SQL syntax

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Fri Jan 2 23:57:33 CET 2015

On Fri, 02 Jan 2015, Lewis Balentine wrote:
>  >> where to put the missing information? <<
>
> Did I mention before that my ignorance is eminence ?   :>)
> Well I am also a senile old goat: There is a mention of how syntax for
> arrays is a bit different in Gambas, but I do not seem to be finding it
> today .... oh there it is under Array Declaration (ref:
> http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/cat/arraydecl). I thought perhaps a link on
> this page would be good as well but perhaps not as it is more oriented
> toward numeric indexed arrays.

Indeed, this page is about array declaration, not about indexing...

> I really thing that there needs to be a good section on using the GD.DB
> components (someone started this with "How to create and use MySQL
> connection").

*cough* Gambas magazine *cough* (would be a good place to install such an
article for permanent view, not necessarily the documentation which is more
of a dry technical reference).

> I think that I should refrain from making a suggestion in this regard as
> I am still working at understanding the general Lexicon and Syntax
> conventions used in Gambas. One of the things that made VB5 so popular
> was its excellent help system. In VB6 MS dumped in everything else from
> their array of languages and tools (that did more damage than good).
> Gambas is well on its way to having a good help system (I would like to
> see a Gambas Wiki search function, but there is always Google). I hope
> to be able to contribute to this effort in the future --- perhaps by
> adding examples.

There are never enough examples[*], especially now that we have the software
farm.

I'm surprised. I can't believe that there is something such as an "excellent
help system". From my limited experience, it seems *necessary* that a help
is, from some point on, an utterly convoluted jungle of cross references and
"hidden" information, in the sense that it is not where someone new to the
system may expect it to be...?

Regards,
Tobi

[*] I hope I'll not regret saying this :-)