[Gambas-user] Communicating to hosted forms...

Stephen sbungay at ...3301...
Thu Jan 1 23:39:36 CET 2015

    When, at the project level, all controls on all forms are set to be
public, the 'Public' property for each control on each form continues to
indicate that it is NOT Public. This is misleading.

   The 'Public' property of all controls should reflect the reality,
that it is publicly visible, and that property should then be made
uneditable. A tool-tip might have to be put in to explain why it is
uneditable, i.e. that the property was set at the project level.

   The only way that I can see out of my conundrum is to create a
property in in each form to which updated information is to be pushed.
The property write will process the received data and put it where it
needs to go. It promises to be a pain in the neck to implement but will
give more granular control, it may also make maintenance a nightmare, so
I'll have to give this more thought.

   Once again, thanks for the assistance.

On 01/01/2015 03:57 PM, Tobias Boege wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Jan 2015, Stephen wrote:
>> I just extracted the archive from the email, loaded it and of course it
>> works perfectly.
>>
>> I had this;
>>
>> mhform1.textbox2.text = value
>>
>> and
>>
>> mgform2.textbox2.text = value
>>
>> in my original code but I kept getting "null object" every time it tried
>> execute the line.
>>
>> Thanks for putting up with my stupidity and taking the time to help out.
>>
> That's why I found it better to send a patch in this case (I attach the one
> with Charlie's changes). You will see that he switched a setting in the
> project properties:
>
>    +ControlPublic=1
>
> which makes all controls on all forms public variables (they're private by
> default for reasons of sanity). With this setting enabled, your problem is
> trivial as you see.
>
> I think Charlie wanted you to find that setting by yourself. I think this is
> a bit unfair as the setting is well hidden in the project options dialog :-)
>
> Regards,
> Tobi

Kindest Regards
Stephen A. Bungay, Prop.