[Gambas-user] A couple of questions about building web / cgi applications

Caveat Gambas at ...1950...
Fri Feb 13 20:36:01 CET 2015

If you're going to use a database to communicate between 2 separate
programs, be sure to set the transaction isolation to READ-COMITTED
(good for MySQL, ymmv), otherwise you won't see updates made by another
process which can lead to some frustrating and confusing mismatches
between what you think should be read from the database and what
actually gets read!

You may also want to look at in-memory databases, if you don't need the
sensor data to be persistent.  H2:
http://www.h2database.com/html/main.html and JavaDB:
http://docs.oracle.com/javadb/10.8.3.0/getstart/index.html
might be worth a look.  You could always use a regular database for the
less volatile data, like user settings etc. and I imagine the
inter-process communication would be easier to set up using a normal
disk-based database.

The architecture is sound, I use a raspberry pi in a similar way to
control my central heating.  There's a python script running all the
time checking for interrupts so you can hit a button on the pi (PiFace
board added) to, for example, force the heating on.  The python script
reads from the MySQL db to see what temperature it should be aiming for,
and reads a usb thermometer to see what the temperature actually is.
There's a web interface written in php with big friendly buttons to
force the heating on or off, and a nice display of the current
temperature and the target temperature, and an indication of the state
of the heating (on or off).  Inter-process communication is all done via
the heating database in MySQL (with tx-isolation as above!).

Sorry, kind of realised at the end this is a little off-topic for most
of the Gambas list, what if I promise to rewrite my web-interface in
Gambas CGI? :-)

Kind regards,
Caveat