[Gambas-user] A couple of questions about building web / cgi applications

Bruce Cunningham bcunningham at ...3336...
Thu Feb 12 19:09:19 CET 2015

I'm looking for some advice and maybe some code examples for a project I'm starting.  I'm building an embedded device with an ARM based System-On-Module (similar to an Rpi, but in an sodimm form factor).

Thanks to some great help from members of this mailing list, I have successfully compiled Gambas for the SOM.  The device will have a "main" GUI application that handles the user interface and all of the control logic.  However, it will also have a web interface for remote access to some of the control settings.

Here are my questions:

1) Does anyone have any code examples for CGI applications in Gambas?  I know there is an option to use the Gambas interpreter to build ASP-like pages, but I would rather the web code be in compiled into a CGI module instead (for security reasons).  I've built CGI applications in VB6, so I have a fairly good understanding how CGI work in general.  I've read the Gambas docs on CGI, but I still don't quite understand it.

2) What is the easiest way to exchange data (variables and arrays) between the CGI module, and the main application?  Using a file on disk is not a great option, since the device will be using flash for the file system, and these values will be changing several times a second.  That will kill the flash very quickly.

Thanks,

Bruce Cunningham
bcunningham at ...3336...<mailto:bcunningham at ...3336...>