[Gambas-user] Balloon.Info on TrayIcon

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Thu Feb 12 01:58:49 CET 2015

Le 12/02/2015 01:23, Michael A. Capone a écrit :
> Hi folks,
>
> First of all, a big THANK YOU for the creation of Gambas!  It has
> allowed us to port legacy VB code to linux and get several of our users
> off the Windows platform.
>
> I've searched everywhere for this, and seen several requests, but no
> satisfactory answer.
>
> Is there any way to implement a Balloon message that can be attached to
> a tray icon?  This is common functionality that is seen in many
> applications.  Unfortunately, TrayIcons are "Classes", not "Controls",
> so when you call
>
>      Balloon.Info("Hello World", myTrayIcon)
>
> ... you get the error "Expected 'Control', got 'TrayIcon'".
>
> I've found this question in mailing lists going back to 2008, but no
> answer.
>
> My workaround is to render a small form in the lower right hand corner
> of the screen, put a tiny label on the tiny form, and have that label be
> the Control that the balloon attaches to.  A timer then closes the form
> after a few seconds.
>
> The problem with that solution is that the newly rendered form steals
> focus from whatever application is currently running.  So if I'm typing
> away in an e-mail, and my miniature balloon form loads, my e-mail client
> loses focus.
>
> I'm using gb.qt on Gambas 3.5.0; QT certainly has support for this
> (http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/desktop-systray.html), although I'll
> admit I know next to nothing about QT programming.  But is this a
> feature that can be built into the TrayIcon class, perhaps in the form
> of TrayIcon.Balloon.Info?  Or, is there a way to do that that I'm not
> familiar with yet?
>
> Thanks so much!
> Michael

This is a windows idea : tray icons do not work anymore like that on
Linux, even if you can hack to get what your want.

At the moment Gambas does not support the new standard tray icon system,
and if you have something to say to the user, you should use the
notification system :

https://people.gnome.org/~mccann/docs/notification-spec/notification-spec-latest.html

As for the form stealing the focus, this is a problem I'm aware of. But
I have to find a good interface yet that allows showing a form without
it taking the focus.

Benoît Minisini