[Gambas-user] Gambas IDE slows down to standstill on terminal server

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Thu Dec 3 15:05:52 CET 2015

Le 03/12/2015 09:21, Rolf-Werner Eilert a écrit :

> Am 03.12.2015 08:48, schrieb Rolf-Werner Eilert:
>> On my terminal server in the office, after having open Gambas IDE for
>> some hours, suddenly the IDE will slow down to nearly standstill. This
>> is reproducable, though I cannot know when it happens. Seems to come
>> faster when I work a lot in the editor. After a minute or so, even mouse
>> events on the whole screen are slowing down, and I had it twice that I
>> had to go to the server room and log in from there and kill gbr3 from
>> the command line to regain access to my terminal.
>>
>> This seems to have to do with the optimazation Benoit has made, see our
>> conversation on the X server. There seems to be some kind of
>> accumulation which stuffs the RAM in my terminal until it starts swapping.
>>
>> I found that killing Firefox at the same time helps the terminal to come
>> back faster, but with a bit of patience I could do without this measure.
>>
>> Although I really don't know if it makes sense to "re-optimize" the IDE
>> for terminal servers (this will be a rare case of usage), I found it
>> worthwhile to mention.
>>
>> Benoit, instead of an automatic switch, would it make sense to provide
>> for a manual override of this feature, e. g. by command line or some
>> option in the .rc file? The few people who are using the IDE on a
>> terminal server might profit from it. (But if this means taking care of
>> a lot of different places in code, I wouldn't bother you with it.)
>>
>> Regards
>> Rolf
>>

> Let me quickly add this: I just remembered that about 2 weeks ago, I
> designed a very wide dialog window. In the IDE, the dialog window would
> disappear under the properties palette, so I had to slide the window
> right-left many times. Switching back and forth from the editor, this
> would stop the IDE several times a day. This was the reason for me to
> start the discussion with you, Benoit.
>
> So it seems to have to do not only with the editor, but maybe a
> combination of graphical IDE and editor. Or the IDE as a whole.
> Meanwhile I have worked a lot in some modules, so no graphics, and
> sometimes I had to let the IDE stand and wait. Even then the error
> eventually occured, but later.
>
> Rolf

Do you run the IDE with QT5 or QT4? QT4 is far more terminal-server
friendly than QT5 that uses image buffers everywhere to prevent tearing.
Maybe there is a QT env variable to disable that, I don't know...

--
Benoît Minisini