[Gambas-user] Gambas IDE slows down to standstill on terminal server

Thu Dec 3 08:48:40 CET 2015

On my terminal server in the office, after having open Gambas IDE for
some hours, suddenly the IDE will slow down to nearly standstill. This
is reproducable, though I cannot know when it happens. Seems to come
faster when I work a lot in the editor. After a minute or so, even mouse
events on the whole screen are slowing down, and I had it twice that I
had to go to the server room and log in from there and kill gbr3 from
the command line to regain access to my terminal.

This seems to have to do with the optimazation Benoit has made, see our
conversation on the X server. There seems to be some kind of
accumulation which stuffs the RAM in my terminal until it starts swapping.

I found that killing Firefox at the same time helps the terminal to come
back faster, but with a bit of patience I could do without this measure.

Although I really don't know if it makes sense to "re-optimize" the IDE
for terminal servers (this will be a rare case of usage), I found it
worthwhile to mention.

Benoit, instead of an automatic switch, would it make sense to provide
for a manual override of this feature, e. g. by command line or some
option in the .rc file? The few people who are using the IDE on a
terminal server might profit from it. (But if this means taking care of
a lot of different places in code, I wouldn't bother you with it.)

Regards
Rolf