[Gambas-user] [Gambas Bug Tracker] Bug #704: Format does not handle time separator correctly

Fri Aug 28 19:21:54 CEST 2015

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 8:04 PM, Benoît Minisini <
gambas at ...1...> wrote:

> Le 28/08/2015 18:52, Tobias Boege a écrit :
> > On Fri, 28 Aug 2015, Jussi Lahtinen wrote:
> >> The point was, how do I test whether Format function works in some other
> >> language than what I'm currently using?
> >> Month names are not any bigger problem than the separators. How do I
> know
> >> which is the correct separator?
> >>

> > (Sorry, I haven't really paid attention to the whole thread here and I'm
> no
> > locale expert, so what I say may miss the point.)
> >
> > AFAICS you can use the C library's setlocale(3) function to set the
> locale
> > of the Gambas process. If that doesn't work (haven't tested in a long
> time
> > and remember I had some problems last time I tried that), you can at
> least
> > set the LC_ALL environment variable prior to starting the Gambas project.
> >
> > As soon as the locale is set, you can use localeconv(3) to get a struct
> > lconv which, according to locale(7), contains a field `decimal_point'
> where
> > you find the decimal separator among lots of other information.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tobi
> >

> There is no concept of date/time separator in glibc locales.
>
> Moreover, if you write a date/time following a glibc language locale
> ABC, you will be often surprised by people speaking the ABC language
> tellign you that they do not write date/time that way.
>
> First example: French.
> Second recent example: Norwegian.
>
> Maybe this is the reason why KDE does not use glibc locales, but its own
> system.
>
> As for Gambas, I don't think you can automate date/format testing.
>
> You have to:
>
> - Install every language support package possible!
>
> - Find one person for each language that will check if the date/time
> printed by Gambas has a sense for it.
>
> So it will be as until now: I will wait for bug reports...

Yes exactly.
I think I will do some general sanity check for the Format function. So at
least we would catch k's etc as a separator, if enough people would install
the GambasTester.

Jussi