[Gambas-user] Different behaviour of Gambas 3.6.2 and Gambas 3.8

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Fri Aug 28 12:30:13 CEST 2015

Le 28/08/2015 09:20, Wolfgang a écrit :
> Salut Benoît!
>
> After intensive research I now have my program running again. I had some
> purely written code, that worked in 3.6 and I could find the problems.
> That was that my many windows could be resized and I was not correct in
> my code there. That I could correct easily. I filled some arrays with
> some wrong numbers and mixed something up. So the fault was clearly on
> my side. Sorry for wasting your time there!!
>
> But I found 3 things (TabStrip, Socket and Print/Debug) that were done
> in 3.6.2 different from 3.8. I have added a PDF which can show better
> (and formatted) the differences.
>
> As explained there I used 3.6.2 AND 3.8 on identically Ubuntu 14.04
> machines.
>

> Greetings from Bavaria/Germany
>
> Wolfgang Baumgärtel

Thanks, even if a mail is better than a PDF.

1) The background color behaviour is normally handled by the widget
style, so I guess it's a change in the widget style, not in Gambas.

2) WAIT calls the event loop! So it can create any infinite recursion
and/or undefined behaviour as soon as you call it inside an event handler.

You should *never* use it in *any* event handler, unless you know
exactly what you are doing. Which is never the case even with me. :-)

You said that your stream is slow, and you want to wait half a second
(!) before reading.

You can use the SLEEP instruction instead, but it will stall your
program during that period (read the doc.).

Anyway you should not have to wait, the slowness of the stream should be
handled by the OS. But maybe it depends on which device you read
exactly. Without more details, I can't tell.

3) This is a bug in the console that prints ^I instead of a real tab
character. It will be fixed in the next minor release. You can use a
real console in the meantime.

Benoît Minisini