[Gambas-user] A question on gb.gui

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Mon Apr 27 20:08:32 CEST 2015

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015, Charlie Reinl wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 26.04.2015, 14:39 +0200 schrieb Gian:
> > Il 24/04/2015 14:23, Gian ha scritto:
> > > Hello Benoit,
> > > Sorry if I let some criticism on the strategy gb.gui in this email.
> > > I state to be old and ignorant (to 16 years (1963) already around the
> > > world to work) and that I admire very much you and your collaborators,
> > > otherwise I would be silent.
> > > Ubuntu can represent for free software that Windows is for closed software.
> > > Ubuntu uses GTK and you love QT and that's OK.
> > > Gb.gui never completely properly worked, why insist? Is not better to
> > > abandon gb.gui, gb.gtk2, gb.gtk3 and focusing on those software that
> > > manage to combine the GTK with QT, explaining well the use to all
> > > shrimps, maybe helping them for installation?
> > > Thanks for the attention.
> > > Gianluigi
> > >

> > Hello Benoit,
> > I'm sorry if I offended you, it was not my intention. Quite the contrary.
> > I believe that the main feature of Gambas is the one that, with a few
> > clicks, we can get a GUI very effective and pleasant.
> > But if the GUI does not work...
> > I note that no one has commented on what I have written here, me wonder why?

I, for one, have not received your messages. I only saw them now, cited by
Charlie. (?)

> > Do not they use gb.gui (gb.gtk +)?
> > Do not they care if their code works with GTK?

I stopped caring about Gambas + GTK back in 2009 when I, as a 14 year old,
simply found GTK to look bad on that old Ubuntu 9.04 -- and I remember that
it was not as complete as gb.qt4 on some things.

I have seldom touched the combination since then because I was never
disappointed with gb.qt4. When I ran gb.gtk, it was (almost?) always only to
inspect incompatibilities others found with gb.qt4. I don't use gb.gui at
all. I always tick "Qt project" explicitly.

Hans, whom I and two others write a book about Gambas with, quickly got on
the same track. Actually one of the first sentences a reader would see on
the front page of the book web site is that we consequently use gb.qt4 in
all the projects.

The only shame is that we never get around to report and fix the
incompatibilities between gb.gtk(3) and gb.qt4 if everyone shut in before
gb.gtk like me...

> > They use Gambas only for fun or theoretical study?

Yes, I do both and almost nothing except them.

Regards,
Tobi