[Gambas-user] gb.util: Unit conversions

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Sat Apr 25 23:13:23 CEST 2015

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015, Beno?t Minisini wrote:
> Le 20/04/2015 23:28, Tobias Boege a ?crit :
> > Hi Benoit,
> >
> > I have a quick feature suggestion for gb.util: when working with components
> > like gb.cairo which partially uses millimeters (e.g. CairoPdfSurface._new)
> > to measure things, it would be nice to have a global module from somewhere
> > official which implements those unit conversions.
> >
> > I am myself always uncertain with "graphical" units and if they could under
> > any circumstances depend on resolutions or not. A bunch of working methods
> > would be nice and gb.util is the right place for that it seems.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tobi
> >

> I don't see what conversion you need exactly. Can you be more precise?

Things like px <-> mm <-> in. I'm sure there are a lot more unit conversions
that people may find useful. Although I'm not sure anymore if it's a good
idea to put those into a component, because it's basically multiplying by
some constant... The thing is simply that these constants are not easy to
memorise and sometimes they depend on some resolution or other factors of
which people like me aren't aware. A conversion function in a component,
once written by a clever person would come to the rescue then.

Regards,
Tobi