[Gambas-user] Gambas-user Digest, Vol 107, Issue 10

Martin McGlensey mmcg29440 at ...3163...
Mon Apr 13 02:32:05 CEST 2015

-----Original Message-----
Message: 1
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 16:20:59 +0200
From: Tobias Boege <taboege at ...626...>
Subject: Re: [Gambas-user] How do I left justify text in a DataControl

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015, Martin McGlensey wrote:
> How do I force a DataControl to display text, that is longer than the
> control,  as left justified. That is if the control is sized to accept
> ten characters, on the form,  and the text is twenty characters I want
> to see the first ten. Now I see the last ten. Want to see the first
> ten and be able to arrow over to see the next ten. Is there an align
> property to address this?
>
> All solutions are welcome.

A DataControl can take the form of one of TextBox, DateBox, ComboBox,
TextArea and ButtonBox, AFAICS. It's more difficult to find a general
solution, so I'll restrict myself to the case that you are displaying an
Integer, Long, Float or String (with less than 256 characters) field which
are precisely the cases where the DataControl uses a TextBox to display the
field.

Then you get that internal TextBox via DataControl.Control. You just take
this TextBox and go to cursor position zero:

  Dim hTextBox As TextBox = myDataControl.Control

  hTextBox.Pos = 0

This shows the left characters of the TextBox [ I have verified that it
works out like this, on my system ]. The other cases may be similar, except
DateBox which has no Pos property.

If you have a DataSource -> DataBrowser -> DataControl in your project, the
appropriate place to put the above code would be the DataSource_Change event
handler.

[ Also note that this is not about text alignment which you can control
  separately with a TextBox but simply about what part of the long text
  is displayed by the limited control. ]

Regards,
Tobi

Tobi,

Dim hTextbox as TextBox = DataControl.Control does not appear to work. Error
- Expecting number etc. Dim hTextArea as TextArea = DataControl.Controls
does work without error. Is that expected with a datacontrol or have I  made
an error?

Marty