[Gambas-user] Class info contradicts by Gambas added class info

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Fri Sep 19 22:30:18 CEST 2014

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014, Willy Raets wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have this Gambas library.
> I have made sure classes have their description (using ''' at the
> beginning) and public functions/methods have their description (using ''
> just before the function/method)
>
> I have this exported class named Update.
> When typing Update in an application using the library the help shows up
> with info on the class Update (see Screenshot01.png)
>
> I can correctly see my info, being:
> "Update provides methods for handling your application updates, version
> checking,
> provide online information from (rich) text files and show changelog.
> This class is not creatable."
>
> But I can also see that Gambas seems to add stuff:
> "This class can be used like an object by creating an hidden instance on
> demand.
> This class is creatable."
>
> Now these two are a contradictions. My help info says:
> "This class is not creatable."
> Gambas adds info:
> "This class is creatable."
>
> The class Update is an exported class, but all functions and methods are
> Static. (see Screenshot02.png)
> No instances can be made of the class nor of it's public
> functions/methods.
>
> I noticed this in Gambas 3.5.4, had a look (in VM) at an installed
> Gambas 3.5.90 (#rev.6469), but there the info is the same.
>
> Shouldn't a class with Create static NOT show the added Gambas info on
> being able to be created, or am I misunderstanding something?

I think you can instantiate your class, even if everything is static in
there and you have Create Static set -- the instance you get from New would
just be rather useless. (IIRC I tried that a few days ago: I tried to create
an object of a module, and it worked!) The only thing which would forbid
instantiation is the Create Private keyword.