[Gambas-user] Building /trunk, deprecated documentation

Randall Morgan rmorgan62 at ...626...
Thu Sep 18 07:40:07 CEST 2014

Hi John,

I run a system similar to yours. Still running 12.04 LTS and have not only
routinely built Gambas 3 from source but, I have gone back and forth
between the repo versions and the trunk code. If you take care to ensure
all the listed prerequisites are installed, Gambas 3 build fine and does
not mess with the any of the desktops I have ran. I would doubt that GB
messed anything up. I suppose it is possible but I don't think it is likely.

I think what you may be experiencing is the newbie learning curve that
every newbie experiences. Are you familiar with  managing a *nix OS? Are
you familiar with SVN or other VCS systems? If not, in time you will be. If
you are, then building Gambas should be straight-forward.  Evenry *nix
project has dependencies and every *nix OS provides it's own repo and often
it's own dependency names... If you work on Ubuntu get used to pulling
newer versions of libraries from upstream (Debian) to keep the latest
software working...

All in all though, Ubuntu is a great OS. I run Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint, and
others and find Ubuntu my preferred, non-server *nix OS.

So pat yourself on the back for crossing the first major hurtle on the way
to learning and using a great Basic variant language! You'll have a
challenging road ahead but each step is worth the effort and the learning
curve for Gambas rounds off quickly.

Randall

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 6:17 PM, Jussi Lahtinen <jussi.lahtinen at ...626...>
wrote:

> Hard to believe it is Gambas issue. I think your window manager has
> crashed, either restart it or reboot.
> If it is config issue, then it's more complicated.
>

> Jussi
>
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 3:47 AM, John Leake <jleake at ...3375...> wrote:
>
> > I cannot deal with this right now.  Despite purging Gambas3 autoremove
> > and update and reinstalling my desktop it has all turned to ratshit!!!
> >
> > On 18/09/14 01:39, John Leake wrote:
> > > WARNING - building Gambas3 can fuck up your desktop.
> > > My window borders have vanished.

> > > Want excitement?
> > > Manually upgrade your production database.
> > > When you want reliability, choose Perforce
> > > Perforce version control. Predictably reliable.

> > Want excitement?
> > Manually upgrade your production database.
> > When you want reliability, choose Perforce
> > Perforce version control. Predictably reliable.

If you ask me if it can be done. The answer is YES, it can always be done.
The correct questions however are... What will it cost, and how long will
it take?