[Gambas-user] Wiki Update

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Wed Sep 17 15:04:05 CEST 2014

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014, Randall Morgan wrote:
> We were looking at: http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/cat/arraydecl
> But don't all array indices in Gambas begin at Zero?

What does it mean to be an array? I'm not sure. If you call an "array" what
can be used like an array then these are the classes implementing the _get()
and/or _put() special methods.

Collection also implements these methods but takes string indices. Tomorrow
I can add "Matlab-compatible" classes to a component which index from 1 on,
or a class that uses matrices or powers of Pi to index.

But yes, if you qualify an array as either:
  a) native arrays or
  b) array classes created on-the-fly by the interpreter when using the
     <ClassName>[] syntax ("derived arrays")
then you can say that indexing begins at zero, for sure. These make ~ 80%
of array uses in my projects, from a very quick grep. So much for its
raison d'etre.

Maybe we should add an article into the Lexicon[0]?

Regards,
Tobi

[0] http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/def