[Gambas-user] Firebird?

Willy Raets willy at ...2734...
Sun Sep 14 17:25:33 CEST 2014

On zo, 2014-09-14 at 16:57 +0200, Tobias Boege wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have seen in the commit logs that gb.db.firebird does not exist anymore
> but there are traces of Firebird in the docs, among them:
>
>  - http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/doc/odbc which implies that firebird can be
>    used through ODBC (I have no clue about that),

ODBC stands for Open Database Connectivity. Any database system
supporting ODBC can be accessed. I believe that goes for Firebird (never
ever used it, but most DBMS support it)

>  - http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/install/fedora which lists some firebird
>    packages to install to compile Gambas,

I haven't written the compilation instructions, but do not believe that
any firebird packages are needed for Gambas installation (that might be
a historical left over from Gambas 2)
Have you encountered any firebird packages in the compilation
instructions for other distributions?

>  - http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/comp/gb.db/connection/type which says we can
>    set Connection.Type = "firebird".

I guess another historical left over.

I believe there used to be a firebird component in Gambas 2, but because
of firebird licenses not being conform GNU General Public license, it
was removed from Gambas.

> Is any of these not meant to be in the docs anymore? I will try to remove
> wrong information when I understand the situation (and install a warning on
> gb.db's page because Hans has spent a day installing and configuring
> firebird until I just found out that it may not be relevant anymore).

Benoît should know for sure.

--
Kind regards,

Willy (aka gbWilly)