[Gambas-user] Gambas PR

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Thu Oct 16 19:56:46 CEST 2014

Hi list,

4tionov (Christof Thalhofer) suggested in the Gambas-Club(.de) that Gambas
(major?) releases could be presented in articles in different online
magazines, as it happens with other programming languages (as I was told).
I think this is one of the rare Gambas promotion ideas that is simple and
potentially effective.

Now, I carry this to the mailing list for two reasons:

 1. I'm not a commit log oracle -- and I think there is no such person: I
    cannot make a good sentence out of a bunch of, say, commit logs for
    gb.report or gb.web, simply because I never used these components in my
    life and don't know what certain changes mean.

    I would propose that developers *try* to assemble notes for release
    articles as they do commits. Looking at commit volumes, this shouldn't
    be a problem for anyone except Benoit whose commits we can examine
    later on. The notes should be something easy comprehensible, from a
    bird's-eye view on the component, one to three sentences, I guess? The
    release notes are a good start, but I fear they're not detailed enough
    and lack (historic) context, like "Why this thing? How was it before?".
    The complete Changelog is too detailed and lacks context most of the
    time.

 2. If we have such an article for a release in any language, we have
    articles for every language, right? I bet there are also non-German
    online magazines out there... (Although maybe we shouldn't spam the
    same article to everything that resembles a magazine!)

What do you think? I try to assemble some (likely really only *some*) notes
about 3.6 tomorrow and Christof (who has professional experience) offered
to do the editing/wording. Anyone who can help?

Regards,
Tobi