[Gambas-user] SMTP error in Gambas 3.6.0 (rev#6552)

Willy Raets willy at ...2734...
Wed Oct 15 13:48:54 CEST 2014

Hi,

I've been testing smpt on Gambas 3.6.0 (rev#6552).

I use the exact same settings as I do in my mail client Evolution (see
screenshot smtp-settings-evolution.png), but Gambas smtp fails with
error:

'Unable to send mail:Unable to connect to the SMTP server:EHLO command
failed' (see attached screenshot smtp-error.png)

The form shown on screenshot is part of a Gambas library that user can
use to set their mail settings so the library can use those settings to
send me error reports.

The info filled in in the textboxes is stored in Settings and used from
there in the code below. (see screenshot smtp-settings.png -> I placed
xxxx on real date for the screenshot, but real info was used for the
test)

This is the code for the Test button, that tests the connection, but
returns above error:

Public Sub btnTest_Click()

  Dim hMail As New SmtpClient
  Dim sMessage As String
  Dim iL, iE As Integer
  Dim bMailSend As Boolean
  Inc Application.Busy
  Settings.Save
  $bIsChanged = False
  Wait
  hMail.To.Add(Settings["LibGb3DevAid/mailfrom"])
  hMail.From = Settings["LibGb3DevAid/mailfrom"]
  hMail.Host = Settings["LibGb3DevAid/smtp"]
  hMail.Port = Settings["LibGb3DevAid/port"]
  If Settings["LibGb3DevAid/authenticate"] = -1 Then
    hMail.User = Settings["LibGb3DevAid/user"]
    hMail.Password = Settings["LibGb3DevAid/password"]
  Endif
  If Not IsNull(Settings["LibGb3DevAid/encrypt"]) Then
    hMail.Encrypt = Settings["LibGb3DevAid/encrypt"]
  Else
    hMail.Encrypt = 0
  Endif
  hMail.Subject = ("Test connection of your mail settings")
  hMail.Add(Subst(("You have succesfuly send a mail using mail settings
in application &1."), Local.DefaultAppName))
  hMail.Send
  bMailSend = True

  Finally
    Dec Application.Busy
    If bMailSend Then
      sMessage = Subst(("Check you  &1 mailbox to see if the test mail
has been send correctly."), Settings["LibGb3DevAid/mailfrom"])
      Message.Info(sMessage)
    Endif

  Catch
    bMailSend = False
    If Len(Error.Text) > 70 Then
      iL = Int(Len(Error.Text) / 2)
      iE = InStr(Error.Text, " ", iL)
      sMessage = Left(Error.Text, iE)
      sMessage &= "\n" & Mid(Error.Text, iE + 1, Len(Error.Text) - iE)
      sMessage &= ("\n\nConnection test failed!!")
    Else
      sMessage = Error.Text & ("\n\nConnection test failed!!")
    Endif
    Message.Info(sMessage)
    Error.Clear

End

It is quite important to me that this works in Gambas 3.6, so I hope it
can be solved before final 3.6 release.

If needed to help solve the problem I can make a mail address at the
server for testing purposes.

--
Kind regards,

Willy (aka gbWilly)