[Gambas-user] Question on ComboBox

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Tue Oct 7 13:39:37 CEST 2014

Le 07/10/2014 12:13, Willy Raets a écrit :
> On di, 2014-10-07 at 11:57 +0200, Willy Raets wrote:
>> When using a combobox, with a lot of elements in there you get a screen
>> full. To me this is NOT very user friendly.
>>

>> I was wondering why it is not allowed to set the MaxLength property for
>> a list that is Read Only?
>> Is there a specific reason, or can it be implemented  into Gambas for
>> Read Only lists as well?
>>
>> I want users to select from a ComboBox, pre filled with data from a
>> table (a long list and NOT very user friendly to see on screen). I do
>> not want them to be able to type their own stuff into the combobox , so
>> I need to set it to Read Only.
>>

>> Problem now is that MaxLength property is no longer possible to set!!
>>
>> So, it is either:
>> - a short list (desired) and user can input into combobox (not desired)
>> - a long list (not desired) and user can't input into combobox (desired)
>>
> My message accidentally got send when editing it.
> I still wanted to add this:
>
> I know the length of the list of ComboBox was discussed here on the
> mailing list recently (like a week or so ago) and suggestions like
> create your own ComboBox where suggested.
>
> But now I stumble into a situation where it becomes a problem to me too,
> so hence the question.
>
> Would it not be more logical that Gambas IDE supports limiting the
> length of the list (read only or not) out of the box (unless there are
> of course problems with the underlying toolkit to get the job done)?

The ComboBox look and behaviour is entirely managed by the GUI toolkit
and theme. Most of GTK+ theme has this weird behaviour with ComboBox.
Qt4 don't, unless you use the QGtk widget theme that encapsulates a GTK+
theme inside a QT one.

In other words, Gambas cannot do anything against that, unless you
rewrite your own ComboBox entirely in Gambas.

I will try to do that after the 3.6 release to see if it is possible.

Benoît Minisini