[Gambas-user] Documentation: Events not firing in dynamically instantiated forms.

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Fri Nov 28 00:52:20 CET 2014

Le 28/11/2014 00:27, T Lee Davidson a écrit :
> On 11/27/2014 04:02 PM, Tobias Boege wrote:
>> Hmm, comp/gb.qt4/form already says the entire truth -- if you know what all
>> the words mean.
>
> All comp/gb.qt4/form says about events is:
> ===
> Event management
>
> By default, a form is its own event observer.
>
> It means that all the events raised by the Form object are caught by
> event handlers defined in the form source code.
> ===
>
> It does not say anything about the change in event observer when
> instantiating a form AS FormWhatever. So, to me, not the entire truth.
>

>> I must admit that I don't really care: I think I understand what happens to
>> a good extent and if someone asks the question again, I can pull of the
>> explanation again (or more likely I'll link to this thread).
>
> Rhetorically, wouldn't it be nice, though, if someone didn't *have* to ask?
>

>> If everything was in the docs, what fun would there be in learning [ being
>> able to discover things on your own over time ] ?;-)  It's at least what I
>> enjoy most.
>
> Lol. Yes, discovering and learning can be fun.
>
> But, I think it is more fun to learn how to do something with the tools
> at hand than having to learn the special nuances of any particular tool.
>
> As a farmer, I sometimes have to make a tool to get the job done. Do I
> enjoy that? Well, I enjoy making things. But I do not enjoy feeling
> robbed of my productive time.
>
> Not knowing that instantiating a form As FormWhatever overrides the
> default event handler could be a "gotcha" for someone who is not as
> knowledgeable as you, as Stephen found out.
>
> And, "As Name" is a feature of the Gambas language implementation. So,
> in my opinion, the appropriate venue for documenting this behavior would
> not be in a GambasMag article.
>
> But, whatever. I was just looking to try to make things better for others.

I have updated the 'Gambas object model' description on the wiki to
clarify the special behaviour of the Form objects.

http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/doc/object-model

If you haven't read that document yet, I strongly suggest that you read
it and tell me if the explanations are clear enough for you.

Benoît Minisini