[Gambas-user] Documentation: Events not firing in dynamically instantiated forms.

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Fri Nov 28 00:40:06 CET 2014

On Thu, 27 Nov 2014, T Lee Davidson wrote:
> > I must admit that I don't really care: I think I understand what happens to
> > a good extent and if someone asks the question again, I can pull of the
> > explanation again (or more likely I'll link to this thread).
>
> Rhetorically, wouldn't it be nice, though, if someone didn't *have* to ask?
>

> > If everything was in the docs, what fun would there be in learning [ being
> > able to discover things on your own over time ] ?;-)  It's at least what I
> > enjoy most.
>
> Lol. Yes, discovering and learning can be fun.
>
> But, I think it is more fun to learn how to do something with the tools
> at hand than having to learn the special nuances of any particular tool.
>
> As a farmer, I sometimes have to make a tool to get the job done. Do I
> enjoy that? Well, I enjoy making things. But I do not enjoy feeling
> robbed of my productive time.

Right, I'm unaware of productivity. Until now I gratefully came away with
just learning for learning's sake.

> Not knowing that instantiating a form As FormWhatever overrides the
> default event handler could be a "gotcha" for someone who is not as
> knowledgeable as you, as Stephen found out.
>
> And, "As Name" is a feature of the Gambas language implementation. So,
> in my opinion, the appropriate venue for documenting this behavior would
> not be in a GambasMag article.
>
> But, whatever. I was just looking to try to make things better for others.

I see your point. Are you content with what I wrote[0] into the docs?

Regards,
Tobi

[0] http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/lang/new