[Gambas-user] Events not firing in dynamically instantiated forms.

T Lee Davidson t.lee.davidson at ...626...
Thu Nov 27 19:28:33 CET 2014

On 11/27/2014 12:55 PM, Tobias Boege wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Nov 2014, T Lee Davidson wrote:
>> On 11/27/2014 08:39 AM, Beno?t Minisini wrote:
>>> Le 27/11/2014 14:29, Stephen a ?crit :
>>>>

>>> mhForm1 = New Form1(TabStrip1) As "Form1"
>>>                                   \________/
>>
>> Now *I'm* confused. The documentation for "New"
>> (http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/lang/new) gives its syntax as:
>> Object = NEW Class [ ( Constructor parameters... ) ] [ AS Name ]
>>

>> And, there is a warning box that says, "If you forget to specify the
>> Name part, your object will never raise events!"
>>
>> But after stripping "As Form1" off the end of that line, the form
>> obviously *does* raise events.
>>
>> Is the documentation in need of correction? If so, what should that
>> warning actually say?
>>

> What the documentation says is generally true. But Form is a special class:
> it attaches to itself as event observer by default when instantiated.
>
> Regards,
> Tobi

Thanks Tobi. I understand that a form is by default its own event observer.

What confuses me is that the warning seems to indicate that the "As
Name" part is required for the object to be able to raise events.

Thinking that the warning should say, "*If you specify As* but forget to
specify the Name part ...", I took off just the Name part leaving "As"
at the end of the line. I then got, "Unexpected end of line".

So, I guess I'm just confused as to what that warning is actually saying.

--
Lee