[Gambas-user] Gambas Software Farm in revision #6676

T Lee Davidson t.lee.davidson at ...626...
Wed Nov 26 01:07:41 CET 2014

On 11/25/2014 05:25 PM, Benoît Minisini wrote:

> Binary packages must be made for all distributions

I would ask why must binary packages be made for all distributions (IMHO
a huge undertaking), but you have answered that in the paragraph below.

> The Gambas Farm allows to install any Gambas program in one click
> whatever your Linux system is. And you have to upload only one package.

That is definitely an awesome goal. But, I just have to wonder why is it
necessary to go that far? If, as I thought, the Gambas Farm would be
more of a source-code repository, compiling/packaging could be left up
to the user, greatly simplifying things.

However, if that particular decision has already been made, then my
thoughts on it are moot.

>> Now, for those who may wish to use the Farm as a
>> (pseudo-)marketplace. I wonder if adding the ability to
>> password-protect an application/component listing, like "published"
>> and "private", would be worth considering. It would definitely not be
>> ideal, but might be workable.
>>

> Please elaborate.

I don't know if I can elaborate much as it was just a conceptual idea.
Wordpress allows pages/posts to be published as public or private. It is
a similar concept but applied instead to application/component listings
on the Farm.

Conceptually, publishers could choose to password-protect their listing.
It may be visible, with its description, in whatever directory or
listing there is, or found through a search. But, to view the source
code or to download/install the program would require a password that
the user would need to get from the publisher.

One of the reasons it is not ideal is that passwords can be easily
shared. A publisher might, therefore, wish to periodically change the
password for their listing.

Again, not ideal, but maybe workable. For a true marketplace, specially
coded (redirect) download links would likely be generated on-the-fly
after payment processing.

--
Lee