[Gambas-user] Gambas Software Farm in revision #6666 (!)

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Sun Nov 23 11:31:36 CET 2014

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014, Beno??t Minisini wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's late there, but I wanted to make that available as soon as possible
> so that people can see it and comment, even if it is not finished at
> all. (It's for the revision number too...)

:-)

> I added a new button in the IDE welcome dialog that opens the "Gambas
> Software Farm" dialog.
>
> At the moment, it allows to browse the content of a Gambas farm. By
> default, it should points at 'http://gambaswiki.org' for testing.
>
> Voting for a software and installing a software is not done yet.
>
> I have registered the 'gambasfarm.org' website, so that it become the
> official Gambas Software Repository in the future.
>
> At the moment, registering to a farm is possible from the IDE option
> dialog only. And publishing is done from the 'Publish...' menu entry.
>
> Waiting for the comments now...

I can say that the Gambas-Buch wants to store its projects, properly tagged,
on some farm. It's an ultra-convenient way to update them and sometimes we
produce even some interesting stuff. The dependency system (there was one
planned, right?) is a great help with that, too. It allows us to clean up
some projects.

It might very well change the way people write Gambas applications: because
components are easier to distribute/obtain, projects might become more
modular. That results in benefit on both sides: cleaner projects are better
for the developer and the things they outsource may help others -- and all
that from within the IDE. At least I can see me doing this.

Oh, and when I open a project and go to Project -> Publish, the IDE crashes
with "[13] Null object. FarmRequest.GetFarms.22". I have just installed
#6667 and haven't done anything else yet related to farms.

Regards,
Tobi