[Gambas-user] Community Component Repo

Randall Morgan rmorgan62 at ...626...
Sat May 17 01:50:33 CEST 2014

LOL I've had your site's component page sitting open in my browser for two
days now. Along with others I have found components on.

Some of your components like the list manger are indeed general components
that others will find useful (thanks for making them available!). But they
would find much more use if there was one location for all gambas user
components, and that location was accessible via the ide.

I am going to be taking on a large project scheduled June 20th. So I may
not be able to complete such a system. But I would love to help where I
can. I do think that either tying the user component system into the wiki
either by extending the wiki or simply by linking via a url would be best
as it would put everything in one location. The two should seem like they
are two sides of the same coin, a unified user support system.

Any thoughts?

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 4:21 PM, B Bruen <bbruen at ...2308...> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 May 2014 22:31:02 +0200
> Benoît Minisini <gambas at ...1...> wrote:
>
> > Le 16/05/2014 19:31, Randall Morgan a écrit :
> > > I have seen Gambas growing in popularity over the past few years, and I
> > > feel something like this could help it grow even more. I think one of
> the
> > > reasons we see so few components is the lack of a centralized place to
> host
> > > them. Giving a component author a place to host (even if it is just a
> wiki
> > > page with a link to SF, BB, or GH, I think would help promote Gambas
> and
> > > grow the user community. I have not seen the wiki code nor do I know
> all
> > > the requirements we would need for something like this. But I can tell
> you
> > > that Wordpress' plugin repo is one of the biggest factors in it's
> > > popularity....
> >
> > Good idea. But now let's find someone that can do it...
> >
> > Here is what I suggest, using your ideas:
> >
> > - Gambas components are like Linux device drivers: they are part of the
> > language, and their source code must be in the Gambas source code.
> >
> > - So let's call the components you are talking about "Gambas user
> > components" and the other "Gambas kernel components" (just for that
> mail).
> >
> > - Make the Gambas user component repository a website entire made with
> > one Gambas project.
> >
> > - The website allows to upload a component as a source archive.
> >
> > - The IDE will be able to automatically download, compile and install
> > the user components from the website if needed.
> >
> > - Maybe the interpreter can do it also when running a program!
> >
> > - These components will only be installed in the user home directory.
> >
> > - Each user component has a version number. The IDE will then detect a
> > new version, and will be able to download several versions of the same
> > component.
> >
> > - Each user component requires some specifics version of Gambas. For
> > example >= 3.1 and < 4.0.
> >
> > - Each user component has its own page on the website. The website user
> > can post comment on the page, and vote.
> >
> > - Each user component has an icon, a one-line description, and a longer
> > description.
> >
> > - Each user component has a gambas component name. To prevent name clash
> > with kernel components, we will prefix the component name with something
> > like "comp.".
> >
> > - A component name can have synonymous.
> >
> > What do you think ?
> >
> > Of course the biggest point is : who will do all that?
> >
> > --
> > Benoît Minisini
> >
> There's a lot of good ideas here in this thread.
> But there is one aspect missing.  That is, gambas development tools.
>  These are not components, but stand alone applications that aid in
> developing in gambas.  For example, we have a "product oriented project
> [...]

If you ask me if it can be done. The answer is YES, it can always be done.
The correct questions however are... What will it cost, and how long will
it take?