[Gambas-user] best programming practices:

Mon May 12 09:10:43 CEST 2014

My answer would be: it depends :-)

When you see a form as one task to be performed by the user, in most
cases it is good to keep everything related to this task within its
form. You will most likely find some kind of workflow roughly going in
writing direction, i. e. from top left to bottom right. If you need data
to be defined by the user before the user can proceed to the next step
within this form, it might be helpful to gray out any further steps to
avoid confusing the user with too many options at one time.

I use to keep the main tasks in one main form, splitting it up into not
too many parts which can be totally independent to each other. Just try
to think like the user: What would the user expect to see at a first
glance, and when does the user really need this or that option?

It depends also on the kind of program you make. There are complex tasks
like monitoring data which might create a lot of small controls on a
panel at the same time to give a comprehensive overview. In my cases,
there are mostly lists of data (names) to be seen (a treeview) which
show up with data on the right sight when clicked. But there is also a
classbook managing tool which has four tabs with different main tasks
and several sub-tasks on each tab.

Hope it helps a bit.

Rolf