[Gambas-user] System.TimeZone Error?

B Bruen bbruen at ...2308...
Sun May 11 01:14:42 CEST 2014

On Sat, 10 May 2014 17:32:13 +0200
"Wolfgang, dl7nb" <dl7nb at ...17...> wrote:

> Hi,
> System.TimeZone is defined as follows:
>
>     Return the system timezone.
>     The returned value is the number of seconds you must add to the
> locale time to get the UTC time.
>
> *That is not always done correctly. *

Actually, it is correct, it just doesn't recognize "daylight savings". The reason lies deep inside the way tzutils works and somewhere in the extensive documentation.  (I have forgotten where.)

> During winter I used it and it has a result of 3600. This is correct as
> the difference between UTC and the time her in Germany is 1 hour (or
> 3600 seconds)
> -
> But now (summertime) we have daylight saving time, which means we have a
> difference of 2 hours. System.TimeZone still shows 3600. It should show
> 7200 to have the correct number of seconds.
> -
> So how can I find out what UTC.time really is??
> How can I solve this problem?

Probably the simplest way is :
  Shell ("date --utc") To sUTCDate
You can use the date options to return the string as you require it.

hth

--
B Bruen <bbruen at ...2308...>