[Gambas-user] ncurses help texts missing

Mon Mar 31 12:30:26 CEST 2014

[I'll free that thread from some lines...]

>> Moreover, umlauts aren't printed correctly (I guess it's UTF-8). Is
>> there a solution?
>>

> My turn. NCurses offers an ncursesw library for wide characters - I just
> don't use it.
>
> Not out of ignorance or laziness but because I want to use the CDK (curses
> development kit) to implement controls in the terminal (Button (yes, with
> mouse support!), TextBox, TextArea, ListBox, Menu, etc.). And the CDK does
> not support wide characters (which UTF-8 ones are). If I rewrite gb.ncurses
> to use ncursesw now, I'll certainly run into compatibility problems with the
> CDK later.
>
> MAYBE, I can dig into the CDK in summer and try to patch it to use ncursesw.
> However, Thomas Dickey says that this is not as trivial as one might think
> at first. If this does not work, I'm afraid gb.ncurses will not support wide
> characters.

Rather ambitious :-)

But couldn't I use Conv() to achieve that? I tried

hDialog.Caption = (Conv$("Make a choice äöü", "UTF-8", "ASCII"))

but it gave a conversion error. So I tried

hDialog.Caption = (Conv$("Make a choice", "UTF-8", "ISO-8859-15"))

and it gave no error (but the result was wrong, of course).

So, what character set does ncurses use then? Can I use conv() for it
anyway? If not, there should be a way to write a simple conversion table
for German umlauts, e. g. using Replace().

Rolf