[Gambas-user] Fwd: Re: Fwd: libraries and locations: feature request

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Fri Jun 6 11:29:18 CEST 2014

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 6:07 PM, Benoît Minisini
<gambas at ...1...> wrote:
> Le 06/06/2014 09:30, Ian Haywood a écrit :
>> I've started using gambas libraries to break my projecty up into more
>> manageable components.
>>
>> My understanding is libraries must be in the same directory as the
>> compiled executable when deployed: so that's /usr/bin
>>
>> The debian packaging system complains that I don't have a manpage for
>> each of my libraries: but only some of them will be run directly, some
>> are only for use as gambas libraries.
>>
>> I can see a collision with debian policy: libraries should go in
>> /usr/lib, ideally /usr/lib/gambas3/ or something like that.
>>
>> Can we have gambas look in /usr/lib/gambas3 as well as /usr/bin for libraries?
>>
>> Ian
>>

> No, because '/usr/lib/gambas3' is for gambas components, not the
> libraries you make for your project.
>
> Logically, if your project is named "MyProject", you should put your
> libraries in '/usr/lib/MyProject'. Actually, you shoud put them in
> '/usr/share/MyProject', because 'libraries' means 'executable shared
> objects' in that context.
that's correct, gambas executables are not platform-specific so should
go under /usr/share.

> 2) I want to install the executables in '/usr/bin'. The libraries should
> go in '/usr/share/MyBigProject'. I may put other executables in
> '/usr/share/MyBigProject' too. How can I tell the IDE?
it is already possible to tell the IDE where libraries are, no issues there.
the issue is on deployment: my users don't run an IDE and just run the
executable directly
having installed a debian package. Obviously gambas3-runtime and the
necessary components
are installed.

My preferred solution would be a GAMBASPATH environment variable, like
PYTHONPATH or CLASSPATH for Java.
The alternative is when compiling in the IDE, runtime values for
library searching can be specified.

Ian

--
Benoît Minisini