[Gambas-user] Gambas 3.5.4 and the Stable PPA

Ian Haywood ihaywood at ...1979...
Wed Jul 16 03:55:29 CEST 2014

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 3:27 AM, Caveat <Gambas at ...1950...> wrote:
> I have Ubuntu here, was hoping someone else would volunteer first so I
> didn't have to... :-D
>
> I haven't packaged before but know my way around bash scripts, svn, git
> and the like.
start with the debian packaging guidelines to get an idea of how the
system works in general. https://wiki.debian.org/IntroDebianPackaging
Next, download the debian 3.5.4 packages in sid.
https://packages.debian.org/source/sid/gambas3 [look at the bottom of the page]

These debian packages will compile as-is on later versions of ubuntu,
all you will need to do is change the name of the target distro in
debian/changelog from unstable to "raring", "quantic" or whatever.
Your problem is going to be the older versions, some gambas3
subpackages [gb.jit, gb.media, possibly a couple of others] just won't
compile as the relevant libraries are too old. You will need to
produce versions of gambas3 that don't have those subpackages.

[as an aside, this is why I've never bothered producing a version for
debian stable, lots of stuff won't compile and so the reality is most
debian people who want to run an up-to-date gambas will need to
upgrade their whole system anyway]

Ian