[Gambas-user] yaya - yet another yahtzee

Tue Jul 15 01:48:58 CEST 2014

On 07/13/2014 12:54 PM, Patrik Karlsson wrote:

>> 3) Decide on either a two-pane horizontal or two-pane vertical layout
>> with one pane containing the dice and the other pane containing the
>> "info grid" for lack of a better term. It currently requires scrolling
>> to see all the information.
> Not today but I might do it in the future. Would you also have the dice
> stacked on each other in a vertical layout?
> You could reduce the font size so that you don't have to scroll.

I kinda like the right-to-left rolling for the dice, but whatever floats
your boat.

Something interesting I just noticed is that the window is resizeable
and remembers its dimensions after being closed. While this is nice, the
window elements don't reposition or scale well. I'd track the window's
width and height and designate areas based on percentages of the width
and height for each element. An example for the "info grid" with X1/Y1
being the upper-left corner and X2/Y2 being the lower-right corner:

X1 = Width * 0.125
Y1 = Height * 0.125
X2 = Width * 0.25
Y2 = Height * 0.875

This would place the info grid on the left side, stretching from top to
bottom, with a small edge border and a width approximately 25% of the
window.

The same could be done for the dice area and the hand graphic
(separately), using the remaining 75% of the window width. Just be sure
to maintain the aspect ratio for images so they don't stretch.

>> 5) This is probably because I don't know what I'm doing, but after
>> several rolls the graphical UI becomes unresponsive, not allowing me to
>> roll again or right/left click on a die. If this is because I lost the
>> game there should be an OSD telling me that I lost.
>>
> That's my way of saying you have no more rolls and you have to register
> something in the scorecard.
> Below the player name there is a counter that goes 3/3 when there no more
> rolls left, in that round.

With all due respect to myself, since I don't know how to play I can be
considered an "idiot" in that respect. "Idiot-proofing" a game is always
a good idea, so I still recommend having some kind of pop-up,
in-your-face message when the user is doing something they're not
supposed to be doing (like clicking on the dice repeatedly when they
need to be registering something on the score card).

>> One final suggestion is that if you'd like to increase the "oooh aaah"
>> factor you might want to consider having a "3D mode" which uses OpenGL
>> to render the dice and board. You could even do some really simple
>> collision detection with the dice.
> Nice idea but since I'm 3D challenged that will not happen any time soon. :)

I'm thinking about putting together a small project to help people in
this situation. There are some OpenGL demos packaged with GAMBAS, but
they're more geared toward "doing something" than "showing people how to
do something". Setting up a scene, drawing textured quads, setting
material and lighting properties and drawing a modeled Wavefront .obj
file are some basic things that need to be laid out clearly and simply.
With those few things you can do a LOT. Once you realize how easy it is,
and all the possibilities, you'll jump out of your chair in excitement;
believe me.

--
Kevin Fishburne
Eight Virtues