[Gambas-user] Using OpenGL without SDL Draw event

Mon Jan 27 05:51:27 CET 2014

This is tangent to the thread "sdl Draw event overhead is killing frame
rate".

When rendering graphics with OpenGL using SDL for window management, you
define a screen like this:

Public Screen As New Window As "Screen"
   With Screen
     .FullScreen = False
     .Width = 1
     .Height = 1
     .Framerate = 0
     .Show()
   End With

When Screen's .Show method is executed the Screen's Draw event procedure
(Screen_Draw) begins executing continuously. As discussed in the
drawing nothing.

Is there a way to define a Screen/Window to be used as a render target
for OpenGL that does not use SDL? I'm experimenting with gb.qt4.opengl
now but am having some trouble. I've attached the project, which dies
with signal 11 upon executing the line "Glu.Build2DMipmaps(TextureImage)"

I actually just created a form and then a GLArea so I think I'm on the
right track, but am not sure where to go from there. I think this is how
I did things years ago before moving to SDL, though without OpenGL.

--
Kevin Fishburne
Eight Virtues