[Gambas-user] Gambas Future or what kind of Gambas we want.

Carl Nilsson nilsson at ...1979...
Fri Jan 24 01:30:21 CET 2014

Now I'm having trouble with the mailing list!
Here's my response to a fair question.

>Some time ago I had actually bought a set of DVD's with
>openSUSE12.2, after unsuccessfully trying to intall Lubuntu and
>Ubuntu on an older computer.  (I'll try again some time).  However,
>openSUSE 12.2 installed no problems.  Then I looked for a repository
>for gambas3 and once again, munix9:gambas/openSUSE_12.2 came to the
>fore.  However, gambas3 would not install its examples because of
>missing dependencies like imlib2, libogg and v4l-tools: I seached
>the net, obtaining many pieces of advice on installing these. (Yes,
>the process is now consuming heaps of time and energy). I started to
>become familiar with "zypper". I tried
>http://sourceforge.net/projects/enlightenment/.  I'll say I neded
>enlightenment!  By the time I got to "sed -i
>"DGifOpen/s:fd:&,NULL:"src/modules/loaders/loader_gif.c  &.configure
>--prefix=/usr --disable-static && make" and similar instructions the
>cat (the one with four legs, not the Linux command) had the good
>sense to leave the house!  This went on for some days - days, not
>hours!  Looking now at my notes (and ignoring the expletives) I
>found that imlib2 needed libmlib2.so.1 etc etc.  Finally, I hit the
>"search" facility at
>software.opensuse.org/search?.g=lib&baseproject=openSUSE% and
>installed the missing components.  Yes, it's a learning experience
>in Linux as it actually is, but no, it's not what I need when I
>really want to get on with using Gambas.
If you try to install Gambas 3.5 on the Raspberry Pi running it's
version of Debian Wheezy, the CPU goes into overdrive and stays
there.  That's what happens in the real world of newbies to Linux and
Gambas.  No wonder Tobias "never hears from them again"!
Carl