[Gambas-user] Gambas Future or what kind of Gambas we want.

Carl Nilsson nilsson at ...1979...
Tue Jan 21 23:50:16 CET 2014

The Future and what kind of Gambas do we
want?  Well, this is a question general enough
that I can understand it and put in my modest contribution:
I have just started using Gambas.  A year ago I
started asking a question or two on this forum
about using it to write for an embedded system on
small aircraft.  It is the application I wish to
concentrate my limited time on, not Gambas and
certainly not Linux, both of which I wanted to
use. My questions were pretty naive and simple,
like how to set up and use multiple serial ports
for a processing system.  I was previously and
still am using a Windows 2000 lite sytem with
software I have written in VB6, about which I
know enough to get by.  I also know enough about
Windows to know it was not ideal.  My system is
not commercial (though I thought it might become
one 10 years ago).  But I was not going to pay for Windows Embedded.

In the meantime along come boards like the
Raspberry Pi and the Beaglebone Black.  Raspberry
Pi has about 2 million boards sold.  That's where
the future lies for Gambas - not with computer
experts on desktops, but with people who want to
use cheap systems largely for educational and
hobby projects.  People like myself who were
prepared to dig into VB6, but not go with
successive versions of VB.net and Embedded Windows.

Yesterday, working on Gambas 3.5.1 running on
OpenSUSE 13.1 running on VM under Windows 7, I
finally got as far as writing a small program
that actually received data over a serial
port.  I was almost there several days ago -
thanks to the Gambas examples and helpful input
from this forum.  However, I got held up , as an
ordinary (non-root) user, by not being able to
open the serial port!  A trivial matter, you
might think, but I had to dig into Linux to join
the network group that had permission to access
the serial port!   For me, Linux is simply there
as the carrier of Gambas and I do not have the
time in which to become a happy chappie forever playing with Linux.

I note there is GambOS.  I have not yet looked at
it, but I get the intent.  For home automation,
it seems the right idea.  I have little doubt
that boards like Raspberry Pi and Beaglebone, and
tablets and smart phones  will dominate the
market in future.  Right now, Gambas and Linux go
together.  But if you want a much greater takeup
of Gambas, you must make the installation and use
of an O/S with Gambas easier and more
transparent.  Look at the hardware and users it
is likely needed for.   Here's an image, burn it
on an SD card and away you go.  Right now I would
love to be able to download a current
installation image for the Raspberry Pi that had
Gambas and Wiring Pi integrated.  Similarly for
the Beaglebone Black.  So that the user can get
right down to programming his device using a
custom version of Gambas that suits the
hardware.  I should not have to purchase a small
library of books on Linux.  I would advocate more
effort towards the non-expert user who wants to
use popular and inexpensive hardware.

That's my take.
Carl