[Gambas-user] sdl Draw event overhead is killing frame rate

Wed Jan 15 03:33:14 CET 2014

I noticed a month or two ago that the frame rate on the server side of
my game went from around 300 to 50. I assumed it was an OpenGL driver
issue or that I'd added some really inefficient code. It appears this is
not the case, but rather it seems the Draw event raised by opening a
screen using SDL is executing some heavy (and hopefully unnecessary)
lifting that it wasn't previously.

I've attached a project which is essentially an empty SDL screen draw
event loop that calculates a frame rate once per second and outputs the
results to the console. Any idea what's going on here? Any empty loop on
my reasonably modern PC and brand new video card running the binary
NVIDIA drivers should be producing frame rates in the thousands, at least.

--
Kevin Fishburne
Eight Virtues